On a Sunday afternoon, you were running a gaming program on your Windows, and all of a sudden you get a message on your screen. It’s a warning from your antivirus saying that it has detected a threat name ‘IDP.Generic’. Now you are worried about this new threat. You are stressed if your computer has a virus that could harm your system. Well, you have to be careful if your system detects any type of virus. In this case, your PC might be infected by the virus but it’s not necessary.
So, sit back and read this article to know more about this IDP.Generic virus and how you can avoid it.
Table of Contents
IDP.Generic Virus | IDP.Generic Virus Warning
Things to keep in mind to Avoid a Virus
Before we go ahead and learn more about IDP. Generic, I would like you to read the below points to prevent any virus from entering your system.
- Be vigilant before you open any attachment from an unknown sender. Make sure that you open only those attachments from whom you were expecting.
- Always download apps or programs from a trusted website.
- It is important to install and update only the best antivirus software on your system.
- Don’t use Torrents or any suspicious websites. There are high probabilities viruses like idp.generic can infiltrate your system.
- Be careful before you click on any pop-ups.
What should you about this Virus?
IDP. Generic, in other words, is known as Identity Detection Protection. If you are using Avast antivirus or AVG could face this particular virus. The virus could be from any files like gaming, download, documents. This virus has the potential to steal sensitive information like your banking details. So, you need to be careful when you encounter this virus.
In most of the cases, the threat could be due to the outdated software. The virus can be removed by simply updating it.
Is it False Positive or Malware?
If your PC is affected with idp.generic, it could be a malicious positive or a malicious virus.
There are chances that you are using an older version of the software. This version couldn’t recognize new files on your system due to its code pattern. It recognizes such files as a virus. This is understood as False Positive. In this case, you can get rid of the virus easily by updating your software. It is important to make sure that your antivirus software is up to date.
The other type of threat could be when you have already updated the software, your system might have infected with the Trojan virus. It is a malware that can have access to your computer and can steal money. It can have access to your emails, your files, your passwords. Consequently, it ends up corrupting your PC o
It is a silent virus. Once this virus infects your computer, it downloads a similar malware. Thus, it hijacks your system. You may not necessarily have any evidence that the Trojan virus has infected your system. Therefore, it is important to update your software every once in a while. It is particularly harmful to those people who use unprotected sites like torrents or any pop-up ads. So, be careful the next time you click on a pop-up ad.
How to Tackle the Virus?
First of all, you need to check if the virus is false positive or not. You can do this by updating the outdated antivirus software to the latest version. You can also check it by downloading other antivirus programs to see if it gives the same warning. There are trusted online tools available, that conduct a full PC scan and it generates a report showing the presence of any suspicious file. The other method is to update or install the latest version of Java in your system.
- If it doesn’t show the same threat again after updating it or checking it with other antivirus software, it means it’s a false positive. Then you are lucky! In this case, you can access the file by unlocking it from the original antivirus software by following the below steps.
- Run your Avast Antivirus software.
- Click on the “Protection” tab on the left side of the window.
- Find the “virus chest” option under the protection tab and click on it.
- Locate the file that has discovered with idp.generic. Right-click on and select “Restore and add to exclusion” option
In this way, you can restore the file to its original location. Follow these steps only after taking measures to make sure it was a False Positive.
- Even after updating and checking with other antivirus programs or installing the latest version of Java, it is still showing idp.generic threat. It means that your device is affected by malware. It could be a Trojan Virus or any other malicious threats. You need to take proper measures to tackle this kind of viruses.
Myths about IDP.Generic
- It affects only Avast or AVG software users: Though most of the people facing this threat are Avast Antivirus software, there is no guarantee that other software users won’t face it.
- It only affects Windows device: In rarest of rare cases, there is a possibility that even Android users can face this threat.
- VAC was unable to verify your game session
- No Audio Output Device Is Installed
- The Default Gateway is not Available
Like how we take care of our body such that no virus enters our system. Just like that, we have to make sure our devices are not infected with a virus. Once it is infected there are high chances of you losing your personal information, banking details. The hackers will have authorization to your computer. You can even fall prey to extortion by the hackers. This can be prevented by installing trusted antivirus software. Take immediate action if your system behaves in an unusual way. It is important to protect your PC so that your files remain safe.
(Avast & AVG have fixed False Positive in their latest update. If you are still facing the error please be cautious and take appropriate measures.)